My basic rule of thumb was the following: Do the best you can with spending as little money as possible. Because of this rule (Did I just start a sentence with "Because"?), I have done the following:
- Shot a full movie with a webcam
- Recorded songs with only a computer mic and a laptop
- Shot 3 movies (Skulls) with a cheap handycam, a 20$ microphone attached to a hockey stick, and props from the dollar store
After reading a bunch of Coupland books (Thanks Roni) and watching a bunch of festival-indie films, I think it's time I step up. I'm in talks with my friend Liam in PEI who is a killer writer, and my friend Mike (who I've known since the age of 5) who is a killer actor and it looks like a film is in the works.
I can't say what it's about yet, but I can see all the shots in my head. I know all the angles I want, the scenery and the soundtrack. I also know who I want in it (Robinson, I'm looking at you) so all that stuff can be put aside.
The best part about this film is that it's going to be shot entirely in High Def. Now, this camera costs like 1000$ so it goes against that first rule. However, I'll be buying the camera in PEI and if I am not 100% satisfied with that camera, I can return it in PEI within 30 days. Yeah. Rule #1 still in place.
Szeto is actually getting one in the near future and we will be fooling around with his camera and doing some test shots (hopefully soon) so look out for that one.
Anyways, I leave you with some footage someone else took in HD to get you psyched on the project.
Greg
PS. The Skulls franchise is dead. for now at least. The third one flopped (I have no idea why no one watched it) and I'm not going to go through all of that work for a floppery. Maybe we'll do a Skulls 4 in a few years. lol.
PPS. This one project I'm talking about will be full on PEI. However, this doesn't mean I won't be doing shorts in Ottawa nor does it mean I won't need you guys in the PEI film. So don't worry!!!
1 comments:
1. You are allowed to start sentences with "because", as long as when you change the order of the two part thingies, it is an actual sentence. Because I'm language-stupid, that did probably not make sense.
2. I'm only going to be in it if I am the leading role.
3. Please ignore number 3. Replace with 'I'm only going to be in it if you pay me with hard core drugs'.
4. You just laughed at number 3 but I'm not event kidding.
5. I have LOTS of room at my house, 3 extra bedrooms to be exact (except for about 1.5 weeks at the end of Aug for the wedding). All and any friend of Greg Choo is mine and is welcome to occupy them, as long as they are not occupied by wedding crashers.
6. I think I should start a blog so that I can just post all my replies to your blog on it. We could, like, chat, blog style. Yes I just said that.
7. So sleep deprived.
Post a Comment